You always wanted to start your own Blog but never thought you could? Then this is your Year my Bloggy Friend! Creating and setting up your own Blog using this Simple Guide is really really easy!! I promise you can do it
You have to start your own Blog it’s so much fun as well as setting the foundation for a potential business for you and your family! Doesn’t that sound amazing!? You have nothing to lose!
Creating my own Blog has totally changed my life and I know that my “How To Start a Blog Guide” can change yours too! If you are like me and you always wanted to start your own business and pursue your own vision then blogging is exactly what you need right now!
And the best thing….
You do not have to quit your Job right now, nor take any crazy life changing risk! All you need is your vision, a laptop, and the courage to just try it right now! So, let’s do this together and RIGHT NOW! Let me show you how to start a Blog the right way!
Ps: 📌🌟 If you find this post useful and inspiring? Save THIS PIN to your Blogging board on Pinterest! 🙌
Step 1: Hosting
So, the first Step in “How to Start a Blog” will be getting you a Blog Host! You don’t want a wordpress.com Blog you want a wordpress.org Blog! The difference is super easy. With Worpdress.org you can customize your Blog and eventually make Money with it.
Hosting is basically the Land where your house is built on! So the Land is provided by your Host in our case Bluehost. The House “your Blog” is built by WordPress 🙂 Does that make sense? So let’s start with the land first! Let’s set up your hosting! So the first thing you have to do is to go to Bluehost.com and buy your Blog Hosting Plan! Its super cheap and literally starts at $3.95 a Month! Plus you can watch the video below on how to set up BLUEHOST In 7 min which makes everything way more clear!!
As an FYI, maybe you have already started your Blog on wordpress.com for example and you are worried that you are going to lose all that hard work you already put in! Then Stop don’t worry you can head over to this Guide on Self Hosting and in part B I teach you how to move your Blog information to a self-hosted blog! No information lost at all!
So once you have your Hosting and WordPress.org Blog set up, we can continue with more fun stuff such as designing your amazing new Blog!
Step 2: Blog Theme
The second most important thing after creating a Blog is choosing the right Theme! Now, here is where the first people go wrong! If you are serious about your Blog it’s not ok to start with a free Theme! You do want to buy a Theme. But good new they are not expensive and it’s a one-time investment!
Besides this “How to Start a Blog Guide”, I have also written a whole separate Blog Post about “The most popular Blog Themes Ever”! Check it out HERE! I give you a ton of ideas about the most successful and loved Themes ever created.
Update Sep. 18, We have redesigned our entire Blog (hope you like it) and currently not any longer running on the below-mentioned theme! But we still love it and it’s a great Theme if you are starting out!!!
You can also go with MY BLOG THEME (used it 2016- Sep.2018 and loved it)! Its called the Victoria Theme from Bluchic! I absolutely love this theme! It’s the best and HIGHEST CONVERTING Blog Theme I have ever had! Highest converting what does that mean? You see this big image at the top of my Blog? My Blog Header also called Hero Image or “above the fold” image? It is where people can opt-in for my Email List on my Blog!!!
Your email list is your one goal you should focus on when building a Blog and I will let you know in on this secret more in the last point of this blog post!!! Having a theme that converts well, meaning getting people on your email list should be your No.1 priority! Again, you can check out the Bluchic themes HERE or go over to ThemeForest the biggest supplier of WordPress Themes and filter for popular themes! Here is how you can install your Theme!
- In WordPress go to Dashboard< Appearance < Theme
- < Add New < Browse WordPress Own Themes
- < Add New and you purchased a Theme somewhere else < Upload Theme and add the .zip file you receive and downloaded as soon as you paid for your Theme! Watch this video for installation instruction on the Victoria Theme!!
Also, check out my Free Download on “10 Things to consider before purchasing your new Blog Theme” below!!
Step 3: Branding
Wow, we are moving at light speed! Now, this “How to Start a Blog Guide” covers not only the technical aspects of blogging but I would also like to talk about some “Branding and Design” aspects of your Blog!
Now, branding is as much important as anything else on your Blog! Your Blog is your Business Card to the World!!! You want to make the best impression every single time a new visitor checks out your page! So, what are the main things you need to think about when designing and branding you Blog:
- Clarify your Vision
- Define your Niche
- Social Media Appearance
- Consistent & Clean Website Design
Step 4: Plugins
Another focus in our “How to Start a Blog Guide” are Plugins! Plugins are the things which take an “OK” Blog to an absolute “KILLER” Blog! Since we have paid for our Blog Hosting (see Step 1) we can now edit and upgrade our Blog just the way we like it! You want to know the best part; Most Plugins are free! How cool is that right :)?
So, plugins are little programs you can install in the plugins section of your WordPress Menu. You literally go to Plugins and search for the plugin name, click install and activate! Depending on the plugin your Blog is altered!
I know there are loads of Plugins you can download and it can feel overwhelming!! That’s why I have listed the most important Plugins for you to download below!! It’s really not an exhaustive list of Plugin, merely a suggestion but in my opinion, it’s a good starting point! Here we go in alphabetical order:
- Akismet Anti Spam – Used by millions, Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from spam. It keeps your site protected even while you sleep.
- Disqus for WordPress – Disqus helps publishers increase engagement and build loyal audiences. Supports syncing comments to your database for easy backup.
- Easy Google Fonts – A simple and easy way to add google fonts to your WordPress theme.
- Google Analytics Dashboard for WP – Displays Google Analytics Reports and Real-Time Statistics in your Dashboard. Automatically inserts the tracking code on every page of your website.
- Insert Headers and Footers – Allows you to insert code or text in the header or footer of your WordPress blog
- Instagram Feed – Display beautifully clean, customizable, and responsive Instagram feeds
- Jetpack by WordPress.com – Bring the power of the WordPress.com cloud to your self-hosted WordPress. Jetpack enables you to connect your blog to a WordPress.com account to use the powerful features normally only available to WordPress.com users.
- Pretty Links – Shrink, track and share any URL on the Internet from your WordPress website!
- Resize Image After Upload – Automatically resize uploaded images to within specified maximum width and height. Also has the option to force recompression of JPEGs.
- Social Warfare – A plugin to maximize social shares and drive more traffic using the fastest and most intelligent share buttons on the market, calls to action via in-post click-to-tweets, popular posts widgets based on share popularity, link-shortening, Google Analytics and much, much more!
- WP Fastest Cache – The simplest and fastest WP-Cache system
- WP Smush – Reduce image file sizes, improve performance and boost your SEO
- Yoast SEO – The first true all-in-one SEO solution for WordPress, including on-page content analysis, XML sitemaps and much more.
As I have said this is merely an idea to start with! There are literally millions of plugins 🙂
Step 5: Email Marketing
Like I have said before your No. 1 priority in this “How to Start a Blog Guide” should be building your Email List! Now an email list is when someone subscribes to your Newsletter! But what a lot of people do not understand is that it is so much more than just sending the occasional email to your subscribers! It’s building that Relationship, Connection, and Community!
Building an Email List is your best shot at ever making money from your Blog and building a successful business! I know that a lot of people are totally confused by email marketing! I know that a lot of people think that when someone subscribes to your blog they are actually on your Email List! In fact, to build an email list you will have to set up a separate email marketing service on your blog!
Please read this full guide on “How to Start an Email List – 101 of Email Marketing” if you think you have more questions than answers on this!
Sadly no, there is NO Plugin for this! Yes, there are plugins where people are subscribing to your blog BUT where are those email addresses actually going to? Are you able to send mass emails to those people? No, you can’t! You will need to set up your Email Marketing Service and I suggest you do it right now rather than later! My absolute favorite email marketing service is ConvertKit! Here is why I love Convert Kit:
- You can create Subscriber Forms which you can include in your Blog Posts (without paying for other landing page or subscribe box programs)
- It super easy to use if you are a Beginner
- There are a ton of YouTube Tutorials if you are new to Email Marketing
- It starts at only $29/month if you have less than 1000 subscribers
- You can send automated Welcome Sequences to Subscribes – yes!
- You can create Visual Sequences and complicated email Flows – love this unique feature!
So here we go my lovely newbie bloggers!!! I hope this guide on “How to Start a Blog” really helped you and made the decision to start your own Blog a little bit easier!
There are a ton of other blog posts here on the Blog as well as our Freebie Library with additional downloadable files for our Community Members!
I know that you have a bunch of questions right now!
I know I had them when I started my first Blog 🙂
So please DO NOT HESITATE to write your question on anything in this “How to Start a Blog Guide” in the comments and let me know what is working for you and what is not!!
Lots of Love